United Way Elgin Middlesex is committed to reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples.
As a regional organization with deep local impact, we view reconciliation as an opportunity to honour and elevate our commitment to Indigenous Peoples living in our region including Chippewas of the Thames First Nation, Oneida Nation of the Thames, Munsee-Delaware Nation and a growing urban Indigenous population.
We acknowledge our organization’s colonial history and recognize that we have played a part in maintaining colonial systems that perpetuated harm to Indigenous People.
Beginning with the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action #92, we will seek out ways to implement other calls to action including those outlined in the United Nation’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Inquiry.
We also commit to:
- Listening to and learning from Indigenous members of our communities about Indigenous strengths and ways of knowing and being;
- Recognizing Indigenous sovereignty; Reflecting on the relationship that we have had with Indigenous Peoples;
- Collaborating with Indigenous communities and organizations whose objectives or work intersect with ours;
- Investing in organizations and programs that are by and for Indigenous people; and
- Embracing Indigenous voices, leadership, and participation in all aspects of our organization.
This work is an iterative journey for us as individuals and as an organization. We have the power to influence change and will prioritize the time and resources it will require. We know it requires us to listen, learn, and be open to feedback. And we anticipate uncomfortable challenges along the way, which we will face head on.
We will demonstrate our commitment to this journey by creating an Indigenous collaboration strategy or plan that is grounded in our relationships with Indigenous communities and integrated into our strategic plan, and by committing resources to it.
We are committed to doing our part to build a more equitable future and to realize our vision of a community where everyone has a fair shot at a good life.
Chair, Board of Directors
President & CEO
Endorsed by the Board of Directors on December 15, 2021 and will be reviewed annually.